Saturday, August 4, 2012

Lotte inspiration

My poetry has been mentioned in the blog of poet and trainee teacher Lotte, along with some other highly regarded writers. Lotte plans to use the work to teach poetry to reluctant teens and says: "I think such poetry will be great to use as examples of how poems do not have to be written in Standard English." This is a point I am passionate about, so I'm thrilled she's mentioning my work in relation to it. Thank you, Lotte.

Check out her blog for the full post - an excellent starter for any budding poets.

10 comments:

Lotte said...

You're welcome.

I genuinely believe it. I think your work is brilliant: your use of language and punctuation is inspiring. We weren't exposed to a particularly diverse selection of poetry at school, so I hope to bring this into my classroom. I mean, imagine how awful it'd be to have a class of 30 pupils all reading and writing the same kind of poems. Eurgh!

Thank you so much for linking to the blog.

Lotte x

Rachel Fenton said...

Awe, thanks, Lotte! x

Elisabeth said...

How wonderful that you should get this mention, Rachel. And now I'm off to Lotte's blog.

Rachel Fenton said...

Thanks very much, Elisabeth!

Lori said...

That's wonderful, Rachel. Your work is indeed very inspiring.

Rachel Fenton said...

Thank you, Lori x

Anonymous said...

Well done on the mention! And thanks for linking to Lotte's post. I think it's a great idea to introduce school students to a whole range of poetry, including poems not written in standard English. I also think it's exciting that she's looking at work by poets that are writing now. The work we looked at when I was in school was very often by poets from a century ago, and I think that made it harder to engage with, both in terms of the language and the subject matter.

Rachel Fenton said...

I agree, Helen, it is good to have a variety. I don't remember any poetry from school - not sure what that says about me/it!

Mike McLaren said...

A great plug. Better still, great poems.

Rachel Fenton said...

Hey, Mike, thanks.